Thursday, July 5, 2012

Daylily Days











Finally. That long-awaited, joyful time has come. No, not the holiday season. But what I call the Logan Daylily Season. Almost anywhere you look in the city you will see their bright colors --apartment complexes, residential streets, business landscaping. If the Logan area had an official flower, it would have to be the daylily. Low-maintenance, tidy, green, leafy bushes all summer long, and, for one glorious month, a deluge of blossoms like those pictured above.

To explain, the individual blossoms do not last for weeks. The blossoms -befitting their name- only open their  petals to the world for one day before closing -to make room for the next day's array of blooms. I couldn't help feeling sad when I learned this (the summer we moved into our already-landscaped-with-daylilies-condo), but soon realized that, with so many buds per stem, we would not be lacking in the daylily department.

I wanted my pictures to show the flowers at their zenith - the week or so when the most blossoms are open at once -but think I was a bit late. They'll now be tapering off until only one or two buds remain per stem (a great time for finally being able to use them as cut flowers, however). It still makes me a little sad though, on days when I don't get out to admire their display, that I missed an entire composition of changing colors, angles, and proportions. I think there's something symbolic there for me -something about how quickly the grand days of summer always seem to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment