Friday, April 6, 2012

The Stuff of Parenthood: The Hardest Part

Already posted on the best part of being a mom. So what was the hardest part of having a newborn? The sleep deprivation? The 3 A.M. feedings? The cry-fest between the hours of 5:00 and 9:00 P.M.? The transformation of your old way of life? For me, it was all of these things. But, again, it's really the bigger picture represented by those things. For me, it was the "loss of control."
I think of it this way. When I was working, was I any less stressed? Absolutely not. What's more, did I have any more free time? Nope, definitely had less. But the thing is, what time I had was MY free time; even if I only had an hour of it, I could count on at least that solid, uninterrupted hour to do, well, whatever I wanted. Enter baby. Baby goes down for a nap. I should have a couple hours of free time, right? But then, with baby in the picture now, nothing is guaranteed. Baby could wake up screaming -needing me- in 60 minutes, 30 minutes, 10 minutes. You just don't know. You could get wrenched out of a beautiful nap, interrupted half-way through unloading the dishwasher, pulled out of an important phone call. Your time -your life- is simply no longer your own. You have lost control. Try to embrace it.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I didn't know what I was in for when I had Chyler and struggled with so many of things you're talking about. Thankfully, it does get better. So much better!

    ReplyDelete